04 Dec 5 Things to Look for When Buying a Camper Trailer
Camping is embedded into the Australian culture, and while you used to be expected to rough it when in the wilderness, modern camping is more focused on comfort. For the modern family, a camping trailer is a necessity, what with all the items we need, and with that in mind, here are some important points to consider when buying a camper trailer.
- Ball Weight – The ball weight of the trailer you are intending to buy must be compatible with your vehicle, and with heavy trailers, often it needs 2 people to manoeuvre the unit. The general rule is for the hitch to bear no more than 15% of the trailer weight. Modern units have solved this problem with easy to use jacks and jockey wheels, and there would be a selection of hard floor camper trailers that are easily manhandled.
- Value For Money – The latest generation of camper trailers are the result of many years of research and improvements, and they have units available where absolutely everything is included. Clever storage and excellent design enables you to really be equipped when you head off into the sunset. Value for money does not mean looking for a low price tag, as quality is everything, and the top end of the range camper trailers are the best buy, as they are durable and built to last.
- Read the Reviews – The only way to really get to know a camper trailer is to use it, and fortunately, many campers have documented their experiences. An online search for reviews would certainly give you some down to earth data on how the trailer performs, and if you notice that one particular model stands out, then this is the one to look at. If you would like some further reading on the benefits of reading product reviews, you can refer to informative blogs that examine the issue.
- Does it Meet Your Needs? – The answer to this question could save you a lot of time, and you should think about where you plan to go, and the type of lifestyle you lead. You might have a large family, which must be factored in when looking at potential units, and then there’s your vehicle, which should be able to tow the trailer comfortably.
- Think Long Term – The acquisition of a modern camper trailer will be a considerable investment, whichever make or model you choose, and longevity must come into play. An established manufacturer would offer an extensive warranty, as their units are fabricated with quality materials, and let’s face it, the trailer will have to endure some pretty rugged countryside. When looking at the top of the range, the price difference wouldn’t be that great, yet the benefits are many, and you and your family will reap the rewards, as your trailer will last for many years.
You can make good use of the Internet when looking for information regarding camping trailers, which would include searching for product reviews. There are organisations that actually test these units and it is only with extensive use that one really finds out if there are any issues. A few hours of research should put you in a much better position, and when you look at trailers, you will be able to make an informed decision.